|Yards of pseudo ikat dots|
One thing the prior owners left to us were a pair of 70's-ish wingback chairs. Their silhouettes were classic, lines good, but fabric was worn and out of style. I think the previous owners darling dog had claimed one of them as his own for a bit too. They needed help and I figured what better upholstery experiment than on a piece that hadn't cost me much. (Let's ignore that we had to buy a house in order to get these two chairs...)
Enter a birthday for the small fry. She's got the perfect spot in her room for a chair and has a personal penchant for anything purple. Off to the internet I went to research deconstructing a chair, and to shop for affordable purple fabric. I hit the library up for a good book on upholstering and discovered that my handy husband had an air nailer that could be used to fire upholstery staples (big bonus)!
I took really detailed notes throughout the entire deconstruction. My thought was that I would be able trace my way back through reupholstery by just working in reverse order. And for the most part that worked. (See the references below for some of the sources I used.) I marked all the fabric panels with a sharpie and used an arrow to indicate the correct orientation on the finished chair. I was also really careful not to cut any of the pieces, as they were all repurposed as pattern pieces for the new material.
|Hey, grubby old chair!|
|Along the arched back.|
|Original arm cap.|
|Seat cushion zipper reinforcement.|
|Arm cap success… now to just replace it.|
|At this point, only the cushion was done.|
|Starting to see what the new chair |
might look like.
|Pardon the fluorescent lights.|
|Exterior wing and arm.|
References: This youtube video about breaking down the existing chair. This invaluable reference from the library. And this reference for fabric quantities.