Monday, March 25, 2013

Hand-spun scarf

Mini Scarf – just in time for spring.

I've always admired the two-ply, two-color yarn that is most often hand spun.  I think it makes the most beautiful yarns.  So I was excited to buy this skein from "Spun Monkey" last summer at Squam.  I wish that I had photographed it in it's un-knit glory, because it's something that I think was almost more beautiful before it was knit.  (Is it a crime to admit that?)

Handspun yarn loveliness.

I did knit it though.  The small fry asked me for a scarf and I think she liked the color variation in this yarn.  She's little enough to think that some of what I wear is worth mimicking and I love to wear scarves.  And as you might guess, I was happy to oblige.

She's a character this one.  And you knitters out there will appreciate this:  when we dress her in the mornings, if she ends up wearing a sweater, she asks if I knit it.  Isn't that funny and wonderful?  I love that she understands that people can make things - useful things - like clothing, and art, and birthday cakes.  She's a good girl, if I do say so myself.  (And as I re-read this, I realize I sound about as objective about her as my own mother is about me.  Ha.)

Gorgeous colors, right?

The scarf is a simple one.  It was cast on size 8 needles, and began with 4 rows of seed stitch, and then I continued up the scarf with the first two and last two stitches in seed stitch and the center in stockinette.  I finished it with 4 rows of seed stitch to try to prevent too much rolling.  I highly recommend this yarn, it's beautiful and even more so in the skein.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww, what a sweet little girl! The scarf it beautiful too! I have a hard time knitting my handspun, because it's so nice to look at in the skein!

    ReplyDelete